Tuesday, September 06, 2005

My MOM...

There is no other way to put it... my mom is.... EXTRAVAGANT.
I had to check the spelling twice by the way!
My mom is so awesome and since today is her birthday, I thought I would create a little ode to her.

My mom and I have been pals for a long long time. My poor dad sometimes feels slighted, knowing that when I call the house, it is really to talk to mom and he becomes the middleman in the process.
My mom is incredibly intelligent. She gave me my love of books and my thirst for knowledge.
She reads entire encyclopedias for goodness sakes!

Me: Hey mom, what are you doing?
Mom: Oh, nothing much, just reading.
Me: Really, something new and cool?
Mom: oh yeah it is cool but not so new...
I am reading all of the Ms in the World Book.
It is great!

Yeah, that is a real conversation I would have with my mom.

She was a speech and drama teacher for years and years so who can even wonder where I got my sense of style? I wear the tap shoes and she wears the medieval capes.
Then, she became an elementary principal. Let me tell you, that was a shocker... going from attitudinal high school kids to kindergarteners that pee all over the place! But she did it in style. I never worked for her, but I have a feeling I would have liked her as a principal. She knew that what was important was teaching kids. She did everything in her power to make sure that happened.

Then, she retired and spends her time making quilts, playing with her crazy cat, teaching adults how to read, and singing in the church choir, and organizing her things. Yeah, she is a Virgo... we forgive her if her cans are organized by color in her pantry and her spices are alphabetical. We love her anyway.

But I think the most incredible thing about my mom is how great she did with me. As busy as she was with speech tournaments and play competitions, and teacher crap, she never never never made me feel unimportant. She always worked really hard to make me feel special, loved, and important. And she works really hard to do that with everyone she meets.

So, this is my turn to make her feel that same way. I don't tell her enough just how awesome she is...
So mom... here is your zoom song, and know just how EXTRAGAVANT you really are!!!
(Yeah, I know it is spelled wrong!)

I love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, sweetie, I love you. You made my birthday special. MOM

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday late, Mom, from a stranger who likes the story!