Saturday, July 21, 2012

Making Art... cause my artistic skills are so awesome.

We recently interviewed my friend Natalie. Awkward since she ended up not accepting the job even though she would be much happier coming to teach at our school. haha. Anyway, something she said during the interview really stuck out to me. I wrote it down so as not to forget it because my brain is crazy and forgets everything. I then promptly shredded the paper because it was part of the interview notes I had. Ugh. But strangely enough, I remembered it. Or at least a form of it and wanted to do something with the quote. At first, I thought about a coffee mug. But really, I don't drink coffee and if I have to shove another mug into that mug cabinet, there might be some shoe horns and oil needed. Plus I couldn't really find a mug that worked for me. So, I had to go for plan B. You see, I have this awesome thing that I got for mother's day called a Silhouette Cameo. I love it so much. It is amazing!
I got a plain canvas that I found on sale at JoAnne's and got straight to work! At first, I was going to just make the letters on the plain background, maybe paint it, and then peel the letters off but that just wasn't working for me. (Mostly because my craft closet is a mess and I had no idea where my paints were!) Then I thought about this really awesome stack of scrapbook paper I purchased recently. Maybe I could do something with that. I found a map looking page that matched the idea of WORLD, and got to work. But doh. the page was too small. (enter sad music here!) What in the world was I going to to?
So I picked out some really ugly paper from that same stack...
Sorry if you love it. I am not much of an ugly flower girl. So anyway, the back of said ugly flower paper was purple and cool, so I used that on the top and bottom to make a border of sorts.
After several coats of mod podge, it was on to step 2! Now I was ready to print and cut out my text in the super fancy silhouette studio program that came with the machine.
First, I made the words teeny tiny. So dumb. What was I thinking? Those went in the trash!
So after I cut out yet another sheet of vinyl, I got it all on transfer paper and transferred to my project. There was much cursing involved in this step but I will leave that part out.  Thank goodness my child was napping!   Add another coat of mod podge for good measure and I was done. I might go back and paint the edges of the canvas, but for right now, I am pretty happy with it. (Plus again, no idea where the paints are!) Ok, so it is not as straight as I would like it to be and that bugs me a little bit, but that is ok. I am not insane about that sort of thing and if you are, well, sorry. Don't look!
I love the idea of hanging up quotes from my friends. I either need smarter friends, or for my already smart friends to say smarter things. Either way, I will work on them. This will go in my office at work and remind me every day to support all kids. :)

No comments: