Saturday, September 17, 2005


I make scarves.

Yeah, you know I learned to knit this summer. It has become a great way for me to relax after a long day. It is a time killer when I am bored out of my mind, which lately hasn't been so often. And it has been a way to hang with friends. My Knit Wit group rocks.
When we get together, we have to find the comfiest chairs... so we usually go to Starbucks, although I hate coffee. What they lack in their supply of tea, certainly they make up for in the comfy chair department, so I go.
We sit and talk about stuff.
Breezy is the teenager of the group, so she usually fills us in on the life of a high schooler and we just laugh and laugh and remember the days. Tracy and I just are thankful we don't have to re-live being a teenager. We listen to music from the ipod and sing quietly. I mean, Starbucks has their share of freaks, they don't need us to add to the numbers.
We laugh and laugh till at least one of us cries. A prank call to Aaron (of The Story of Anthony) always happens. Poor Aaron! I don't know why we pick on him, but we do!
We each come with our own project to work on and we help each other out. Breezy is still learning, so she is making sample potholders. Tracy makes baby booties and kid outfits.
I love making hats, so I am usually working on one or the other, but now I am about to start working on a Polly sweater for Hugh. We love hanging with each other and being part of a group.

It all began though, our little group, with the scarves.

Let me explain. My friend Tracy hasn't been my friend for very long, so the details of this story are sketchy at most.
I will tell you the little that I know, and maybe you will understand.
Tracy was sort of a wild child in her younger days. She was in love with a boy and was dating him when he decided to move to Texas. She followed him here and then not long after, he stopped calling her. He just left.
That was the biggest gift he could have given her though because she found Steve. Steve is such a great guy! They married and not long after they were married, Tracy discovered she had ovarian cancer. It was serious.
She needed surgery and chemo stat! So it happened and these newlyweds, still glowing from the new union, had to realize rather quickly that they would not have a baby of their own. Steve had to walk every day through the nursery in the hospital, to get to his sick wife. Life creates the cruelest jokes sometimes.
Tracy has healed and now they are hopeful about adoption. They have filled out paperwork and gone though all the steps to adopt a baby from one of the Russian orphanages.
They know that at any minute, they could be called to go to Russia to pick out their baby. They also know that they must bring gifts to all of the orphanage workers. What a racket.
So, we make scarves. We make them for the workers and for the kids and for everyone Tracy needs to impress when she goes to Russia. We make scarves because we love Tracy and Steve and want them to have a gift from heaven.

The news from Russia is not good. They have stopped adoptions recently. The scarves just sit, ready for cold necks. The babies wait for parents while the government gets itself sorted out.

Until then, we will continue to knit scarves, baby blankets and little booties. We will sing and laugh and prank call Aaron. We will love each other and pray. That is the best we can do.

2 comments:

The Other Gatekeeper said...

Russia? Did someone say Russia? I know a spider who could provide some basic Russian phrases to add to the impress the Russians project!

-spidey

Unknown said...

I think that knitting is great. i am a 32 year old man, and i have been knitting and crocheting for years. And no, before you ask, i am not gay. Knitting is very relaxing, and when your are finished relaxing you have something to show for it.