Sunday, September 11, 2005

Scars...


Ok, here is a newsflash. I am not the most graceful person on the planet.
I try not to wear white shirts any more since every white shirt I own these days has some sort of stain on it.
I run into things, too, all the time as a matter of fact. I am considering a big padded bumper for the foot of the bed.
Hey, what's that bruise on your leg? Oh, the one that is the same height as the bed? Well, the corner of the bed moved in the middle of the night and attacked me.
So, this summer, on the mission trip, we did some climbing. Not huge mountain climbing mind you, just some treading on slickish rocks. So, surprise surprise, I fell.
I can actually hark back to the scene. I was trying hard to walk as carefully as I could, but something happened. My footing was off and I slipped. I didn't fall far, but I fell hard. My camera came crashing down on the rock and so did my butt and my right arm. All got bruised pretty badly.
Soon enough, I got bandaged, on flat land, and chastised by a bunch of teenagers for being so clumsy. Nothing like being chastised by teenagers to make you feel old and stupid. Oh and thank goodness this happened at the beginning of the mission trip so I could hear about it all week! What great fun that was!

So, three months later, the bruise on my butt has healed but the scar on my arm from the fall is still there.
I have been looking at that scar recently. I could get some "stuff" and make it heal, or I could leave it there. It is sort of a battle scar for me. A memory of sorts.
It becomes a division of time, in a sense. Did you know me before or after I met B? Before or after I moved to Indiana? Before or after the scar? See? It is a mark in time.

Today is September 11th... another passage of time. Everyone always says, "Where were you when you heard the news? Do you remember what you were doing?"
I remember I was giving my first graders a test and wondering if my husband and pen pal were all right.
September 11th changed our lives. It changed our world in so many ways. It made us angry. It made us stop trusting. It made us realize that we were vulnerable to our enemies. It also created heroes of great proportions.

Katrina is similar... life will be different now. Because of Katrina, people are living in churches, at homeless shelters, in major sports arenas. I know that Katrina has changed lives and has totally taken away more than I can imagine. Our schools are full and the town seems to be busting at the seams with so many bodies. Like I said before, Texas has opened up it's Big Tex sized arms and said, "Come on in y'all! Pass the fajitas!"
But that is the greatest part! I think it has given us hope. It has made us gain faith, and forced us to become the face of God to strangers. It is making us love, accept and grow. It is making us work together and wrap our loving arms around each other and heal each other.

My arm won't ever be the same again after that fall. I am convinced of that. Neither will we as people be the same again. Hopefully, because of this, we will learn, grow, and open up our hearts to each other like never before. We will mark our lives by those scars.... and we will be better for them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:-)
Nice post!